Held at the London Olympia during the weekend of 28th – 30th July 2018.
Guests that attended this weekends event included:-
- Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who – Christopher’s first signing at a convention event in the world)
- Nick Castle (Halloween)
- David Duchovny (The X Files)
- Zachary Levi (Shazam!)
- Tom Welling (Smallville)
- Jason Momoa (Aquaman).
This event is thought to be one of largest of it’s kind in Europe; spanning several halls and floors.
As in previous years the event offered autograph & photo opportunities with stars from TV & Film covering a wide variety of interests and genres.
There were also specialist talks and Q&A panels with the stars.
This event also had dedicated areas for other interests such as:-
- Video gaming – The Gaming Zone at London Film and Comic Con was curated by Replay Events to bring attendees the greatest classic retro gaming as well as what current gaming has to offer including VR experiences.
- Comics – An event within an event, the Comic Zone is a vast wonderland where fans and newcomers can explore the myriad worlds of sequential art. From superheroes to the cutting edge all aspects of the art form can be found within – you could even meet famous comic creators in this area.
- Cosplay – The Cosplay Zone was the area to visit to see all the amazing costumed visitors and featured parades, fantastic competitions and some great photo opportunities with some professional Cosplayers.
- Young Adult Literature Convention (YALC) – With numerous authors attending over the course of the weekend this area included talks, workshops and activities. YALC is a celebration of the very best books for young people and celebrated it’s fifth birthday this year.
- Star Wars Fandom Zone – New for this year’s Con, the Star Wars Zone was filled with costume groups, fan sites, props, exhibitors, official licensees and actors from the movies conducting their signings. A personal highlight for us was the Lego display of ‘the forest moon of Endor’ from Return of the Jedi.
There were also many stalls selling a variety of merchandise for all attendees geeky needs.
There was also ‘iconic movie vehicle’ and prop replicas for attendees to snap a photo with.
The event also set a world record on the Sunday for having 8 incarnations of the Doctor (David Bradley, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith & Peter Capaldi) at the same event on the same day – Truely making Sunday the day of the Doctor !!
There was lots on offer for fans of various fandoms over the weekend, however the stand out this year was clearly Doctor Who.
Both in its number of guests and cosplayers this year – with many making the effort to dress up as the newest Doctor (Jodie Whittaker).
The layout of the event was at times hard to navigate especially at busy periods and lack of directional information.
A main area of concern was having several ‘Big name’ guests only attending for one day – making queuing in areas chaotic at times.
LFCC has recently announced a spring event for March 2019. Hopefully the areas of concern raised by attendees, staff and guests will be taken into consideration whilst planning this event.
We look forward to next years event !