Once again we attended this event as ‘Official Press’ thanks to Showmasters !!!!
Held at the London Olympia during the weekend of 26th – 28th July 2019.
Guests that attended this weekends event included:-
- Hayden Christensen (Star Wars) – His first European Convention appearance,
- Martin Sheen (Apocalypse Now),
- Christina Ricci (The Addams Family),
- James Jude Courtney (Halloween),
- Robert Patrick (Terminator 2).
This event which is celebrating its 15 birthday this year, is thought to be one of the largest of its kind in Europe; spanning several halls and floors.
As in previous years the event offered autograph & photo opportunities with stars from TV & Film covering a wide variety of interests and genres.
There were also specialist talks and Q&A panels with the stars throughout the weekend. We attended talks with Robert Patrick, Matthew Lillard (Scream), C J Graham/ Kane Hodder (Friday the 13th Franchise) & Christina Ricci.
There was also opportunity to get yourself a professional photo with many replica props.
This event also had dedicated zones for other interests such as:-
- Star Wars Fandom Zone – Brought to you by FanthaTracks.com, The Star Wars Zone was filled with costume groups, Q&A stages, fan sites, props, exhibitors, official licensees and actors from the movies conducting their signings.
- Cosplay – The Cosplay Zone was the area to visit to see all the amazing costumed visitors and featured parades, fantastic competitions and some great photo opportunities with some professional Cosplayers.
- Comics – An event within an event, the Comic Zone is a vast wonderland where fans and newcomers can explore the myriad worlds of sequential art. From superheroes to the cutting edge all aspects of the art form can be found within – you could even meet famous comic creators in this area.
- Video gaming – The Gaming Zone at London Film and Comic Con was curated by Replay Events to bring attendees the greatest classic retro gaming as well as what current gaming has to offer including VR experiences.
- Young Adult Literature Convention (YALC) – With numerous authors attending over the course of the weekend this area included talks, writing workshops, book signings, book-themed activities.
Here are some general photos from the event;
This years event saw the introduction of the official Showmasters Comic Con App.
On this app you
“[…] will be able to view & search all the media guests attending, see their days & prices and their schedule all at the touch of a button. The schedule is super interactive, you can view and search the schedule and you can also build your very OWN schedule with the guests you want!”
This app was a great tool to use during the course of the weekend especially when keeping track of talk/Q&A times.
This year saw LFCC grow for its 15th anniversary and in areas became bigger and better.
The calibre of guests was extremely strong this year, with stars from a wide area of genres from TV & Film to comic book writers and artists; which appealed to both young and more seasoned fans.
The continued use of ‘Diamond Passes’ for high profile guests worked to an extent to control crowd rotation. Diamond Pass holders see the guest first according to their Batch number; before the first moves on to Virtual Queue tickets.
Many of the Diamond Pass guests are able to both fulfil Diamond and a number of non diamond signings, for example the extremely popular Hayden Christensen who was attending only for one day.
However some Diamond Passes for guests were clearly oversold with Ian Somerhalder (The Vampire Diaries) having 12 batches of Diamond passes sold with many still needing to be fulfilled towards the end of the final day.
The introduction of the app and more signposting throughout the venue helped attendees find areas, photo shoots etc faster and more effectively.
Moving forward a suggestion would be to add ‘live updates’ to the app as there were issues of time changes not being updated to reflect this.
The crew (who are mainly volunteers) were friendly and helpful as always, keeping cool under pressure.
With LFCC growing bigger and better as each show ends perhaps a change in venue would enhanced this already great convention.
We look forward to next years LFCC and our next Showmasters Event ‘Film & Comic Con Cardiff’ on September 7th & 8th get your tickets now!