During its investor day, Disney has confirmed its long-term plans for the Marvel and Star Wars franchises on their Disney Plus streaming services.
10 Star Wars and 10 Marvel TV shows are in the works over the next few years, according to the presentation.
Spinoffs on Star Wars fan favourite character Ahsoka Tano, titled simply Ahsoka, and Rangers of the New Republic will be coming to Disney Plus, Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy announced during the event.
Offically announced at the event was the long rumoured Hayden Christensen return as Darth Vader, joining Ewan McGregor in the upcoming Obi Wan Kenobi series. The Original Series begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Revenge of the Sith.
Also showcased at the event was:
- A sneak preview for the upcoming Andor series which will focus on Cassian Jeron Andor portrayed by Diego Luna.
- A sneak peek at Star Wars: The Bad Batch, an all-new animated Original Series from Lucasfilm Animation.
- Star Wars: Visions, an Original Series of animated short films which celebrates the Star Wars galaxy through the lens of the world’s best Japanese anime creators. Coming in 2021.
- A brand new-event series featuring the galaxy’s favourite scoundrel, Lando Calrissian, will return in Lando. Justin Simien is in the early stages of developing the project.
- Leslye Headland bring will a new Star Wars series to Disney Plus with The Acolyte. The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.
- Lucasfilm Animation is teaming up with Lucasfilm’s visual effects team, Industrial Light & Magic, to develop a special Star Wars adventure film A Droid Story. This epic journey will introduce us to a new hero guided by R2-D2 and C-3PO.
- A brand new Star Wars feature with acclaimed filmmaker Taika Waititi is in development.
- Patty Jenkins will direct a new Star Wars movie, titled Rogue Squadron. Coming 2023.
Away from Star Wars it has been announced that 15 Disney, Disney Animation and Pixar movies are coming to Disney Plus first in the next few years, as well as 15 Disney and Pixar series. Specifics weren’t revealed, but it was explained that the intention is to have great new content release weekly for the service.
On top of that it was announced that launching soon are Star and Star+, general entertainment content brands outside of the U.S. that will build on the success of Disney Plus internationally. Star will be fully integrated into Disney+ and will be accessible as the sixth brand tile in the app. Star will add a huge collection to Disney Plus, including hit series from Disney Television Studios and FX, blockbuster films and library content from the Disney and Fox libraries, and exclusive local original content.
Check out our previous Star Wars content.
Get your copy of Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Complete Box Set on Amazon now.